Thursday, November 3, 2011

Education in Zion

       Right now, I am taking a Doctrine and Covenants class here at BYU. For the class I was required to spend one hour in the “Education in Zion” exhibit found on campus to observe how the exhibit applies to my personal life and to what I have been studying in class. Initially, I was a little hesitant to whether I could spend an entire hour just observing things, when I could be spending it on something else.
       I just finished spending an hour at the exhibit and how foolish was I to think that it wouldn’t be a wise use of my time. I was overwhelmed with the Spirit that resonated in me as soon as I decided to open my mind and take full advantage of this opportunity. Everything in the exhibit was so beautifully arranged and it was so neat to be able to put a picture to all that I have been studying in class. Often times, history can be a dry and boring subject. However, in regards to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I don’t believe there to be a more intriguing and astounding subject to study.
       I love the Gospel and I know it to be true. I can confidently say that there isn’t one thing that could pry me away from this truth. However, I will also be the first to admit that I am so far away from perfect and from where I need to be. Do I take full advantage of the time I spend at church each Sunday? No. Do I read my scriptures with eagerness everyday? No. Do I always remember Him and do all that I can to be like Him? No. When I sit back and reflect on how I live my life and realize all the things that I could do better, it saddens me. I have every tool available to be the best I can possibly be and I choose not to use them.  No, I don’t consciously choose to be sinful and to not live up to my potential. But, I often times allow the worries of the world dictate how I act and how feel towards certain things. That being said, I am grateful for the testimony I do have and for the opportunities I have everyday to strengthen it because, no matter how crazed I get with certain things, I will always know the truth. I know that when life gets too hard to stand, I can kneel and pray to my Father above. I know that when I don’t perform to my best ability on the basketball court, I am still viewed as great in my Heavenly Father’s eyes. What a comfort it is to know these things, yet why is it so difficult to forget them as I go about living my daily life?
            In this exhibit, I read a lot about the early Saints and their desire and willingness to establish and redeem Zion. There was one quote that really caught my attention. It read, “Though the Saints as a people have often fallen short of the Zion ideal, what stands out historically is the tenacity with which they strove to make their life together a heaven on earth.” This statement brought me a lot of comfort because it reminded me that I am not the only one that isn’t perfect here on this earth. Our Heavenly Father knows us sometimes better than we know ourselves. He knows our thoughts and He knows our desires. I love, in that quote, that it says the word ‘tenacity’. To me, that is such a powerful word that applies to the many facets of life. Sometimes I think that the word tenacity gets confused with the word aggression. In my mind, they are two completely different ideas. To approach something with tenacity is, to do all that you can do and to give all that you have to give. When all is said and done, whether you won or lost, you can walk away knowing that you gave it ‘your all’. I believe this to be a huge reason to why our church is as powerful as it is today! We have leaders and many members that bear and proclaim this truth with tenacity and an undying faith.
            I have felt and learned many things today but the one lesson that sticks out the most is to never lose my tenacity and my desire to do what is right. To always strive to become a disciple of Christ. I know that I have only seen just the beginning of my trials and that there are going to be more smooth and bumpy times ahead of me. There will be times when I triumph and times when I fall short…. But, it is the grace of our Savior; after all I can do that will save me.  I am so incredibly blessed and grateful for this opportunity to visit this exhibit and to have learned the things that I did. This church is true and there is absolutely no doubt about it.

“We move forward faithfully into the future only by understanding our past. Our founding stories reveal to us the higher purposes for which our forebears strove, and help us know the path that we should follow.”

No comments:

Post a Comment