Friday, February 11, 2011

Carpe Diem

  Until this week, I have never truly understood how quickly and dramatically life can change. I have taken for granted the fragility of our lives and how all of us, whether strong or weak, are living day to day. We have no power of foretelling or preventing the events that take place tomorrow. We live, we learn and we work to overcome the trials that are placed before us. 

   Alexis Kaufusi

    This past week has been a very tough week. My dear friend, Alexis Kaufusi, was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma Cancer. It started about a month ago when Fus' noticed a lump on the left side of her neck. Through various tests, they have come to find that she has 9 tumors from her clavicle up. Fus' will begin her chemotherapy treatments starting next week and will start a long and hard fight. All of this is still a complete shock to me. I cannot really make sense of it in mind. I don't understand why these cells have invaded her body. I don't understand why someone as young and as healthy as she, has been forced to deal with this disease. I cannot comprehend the fight that she is about to embark on. I hate the fact that there is nothing I can do to stop it. 
    Fus, is one of the strongest girls I know. I watch her and I marvel at her attitude and her ability to cope with all of this. Every single person that approaches her with questions, she answers with grace and optimism. Every person that demonstrates remorse, she demonstrates her appreciation in return. She looks forward to the rest of her life, and although there is fear and doubt that shadow her thoughts, she has looked me and many others in the eye and proclaims that "she will beat this." Alexis, is and always will be one of the most loyal friends I will ever have. In any condition, Fus would stand up for me and fight for me. She and her family have given me so much over the past 2 years. They have been my second family as I live away from home. She has given me much of the support and love I have needed to grow into the girl I am today. I know now, that as hard as this will be, it is my chance to give back to her. To demonstrate my love and appreciate for her. She has thousands of people that love her and that are prepared to stand behind her throughout this battle. I have faith that she will overcome and rid of this disease with fortitude and great health to live the rest of her life to the fullest. 
    I love her so incredibly much. I am grateful for the wonderful blessings she has bestowed in my life. She will forever be apart of me. She will be okay. She knows that by choosing hope, anything is possible. 


      Fortunately, Hodgkin's Lymphoma Cancer has a very high cure rate. Fus will be in great hands for the next 6 months, receiving treatment's at the Huntsmen Cancer Center in Salt Lake. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers! 

Many say that each and every one of us will know someone that will be diagnosed with a cancer. I have always heard of others being diagnosed with cancer and have always felt disheartened. However, having others that are close to me including Alexis, it makes you realize how much you truly love them. I am grateful for Fusi's positive attitude and outlook. I am grateful for the Gospel and it's power that will undoubtedly play a huge role in her recovery. 

Live great and Love deep
Love you Fus'!!!!
 " Faith in something greater than ourselves enables us to do what we have said we'll do, to press forward when we are tired or hurt or afraid, to keep going when the challenge seems overwhelming and the course is entirely uncertain."                                                                        — Gordon B. Hinckley

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Steph! It's a good reminder to love the ones you love and count your blessings every day. Send hugs to Alexis. Let her know that her Canadian fans are thinking and praying for her too. She's got amazing support with friends like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my first time seeing and commenting in your blog. You are sweet and thoughtful! you are a bundle of blessing in our lives and your timing is perfect in Alexis' life. people cross paths in this world to help each other and ease their burden and you have done that. We love you as one of our own. Love, Steve and Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you like how steve commented on your blog? me too.. love this post stephy you're too kind! and i do love you and thanks for getting me through this cancer crap. love you girl. come over and eat breakfast with me now :) FUSSSSSS... not steve... FUSSSS

    ReplyDelete