Thursday, February 17, 2011

Grateful

  The attitude of gratitude... 



    Why is it so easy for us to murmur about all of the things that we don't have in life, and so difficult to rejoice in the things we do have? The other day, I was particularly frustrated with basketball. I felt that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't do anything right. When you know that you're giving all of your effort and things still don't go your way, it is a demoralizing feeling. As you can imagine, my initial reaction was to complain about how much I disliked the game of basketball. I questioned why I even choose to play... Needless to say, it was a bad day. 
    In one of my classes, we were asked to complete an "Adolescent Autobiography" paper. I was to choose an experience that has greatly influenced my life from ages 12-18. What do you think my first thought was? Yup... you guessed it. Basketball. I was asked how this experience (basketball) has helped in my development in 8 different domains of life: cognitive, physical, spiritual, cultural, mental, social, emotional and familial. 
   I started my paper feeling very frustrated with basketball. However, when I really began to think of how much it has influenced my life, I realized how much I owe to the game. Because of basketball I have learned so many things that will transfer over to anything I decide to do in life. I understand how to learn various skills and apply them to 'live play'. I know how important it is too keep our bodies healthy and strong. I have been able to build a stronger relationship with my Father in Heaven and have learned the principle of sacrifice. Over the years, I have embraced the entire culture of basketball and it has unquestionably become a part of my own individual culture. I have learned how to communicate with people that have various personality types. I have continued to gain a better understanding of how to handle my emotions and perform in 'clutch moments'. It has been great for my relationships with my family members, especially with my Dad. Each and every single one of my family members has been extremely supportive in everything I have done! These are just few of the many things that basketball has brought to my life.
    I realized that I am a very blessed young woman. I have had so many wonderful opportunities and experiences that I would never, ever trade. Basketball is hard and it requires a lot of my time and focus; but it has surely helped build who I am today. I am so grateful for all the things that I have learned that will help me as a person, wife and an eventual mother. I value these lessons so much and really do feel guilty for the amount that I do complain. 
   Everyone has different talents and hobbies... and everyone has their own complaints. If I have learned anything from these past couple days, it has been to complain less and to frequently exult in my many blessings. I think of my good friend Alexis, and the battle she is about to embark on and I realize how blessed I truly am. Sometimes it is difficult to take a step back from our hectic lives to really see all of the things we have. I am now challenging myself to be better by not complaining and by displaying a more appreciative attitude. I hope you all challenge yourself to do the same! 

BE GRATEFUL!


"We can lift ourselves, and others as well, when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among noblest of virtues"
-Thomas S. Monson

1 comment: